A motor vehicle accident will immediately turn your life upside down, especially if you suffer a serious injury. While there's a lot going through your mind at this time, it's critical to remain calm and take the necessary steps to protect yourself.
Here are the most important steps to take after a motor vehicle accident:
- Focus on your safety: This starts with moving your vehicle out of traffic. If you're on the highway, move to the shoulder of the road. If you're in a city setting, search for a nearby parking lot. You should then turn off your car, put on your hazard lights and check yourself for injuries.
- Call for help: Even if you think you have things under control, it's best to call 911 to report the accident. In addition to explaining what happened, request the assistance of police and paramedics.
- Receive treatment at a local hospital: Don't turn down transportation to a local hospital from the responding ambulance. Even if you don't think you have serious injuries, some symptoms don't present right away. It's important to undergo an exam and any suggested testing.
- Collect information: If possible, collect information from the other driver involved in the accident. Also, take photos of the scene, damage to your vehicle and your injuries.
- File an insurance claim: Depending on your situation, you may not be able to do this right away. Remember, your health always comes first. If you're unable to do this yourself, ask a family member to assist you. It's imperative to report the accident to your insurance agent as soon as possible.
When you take these steps after a motor vehicle accident, you'll feel better about your ability to calm the situation and stabilize your health.
Once you understand your injuries and prognosis, you can focus on making a recovery. This is also the right time to revisit the details of the accident, as doing so will put you in position to formulate a plan for obtaining compensation for your injuries and other damages.
You have legal rights after a car accident in Arizona, and it's important to take the necessary steps in protecting them.
Visit our website and read our blog for more advice on what to do after a motor vehicle accident.